Advertisement

Black Indians

topic posted Wed, December 10, 2003 - 7:53 PM by  Bing
Share/Save/Bookmark
Any here? I know Ahmed is one. The mingling of slaves and American Indians brought me here and I want to find some family!

I spent most of my life looked at strangely by the white man and called "oreo" by the black man, because my skin was lighter and I didn't succumb to an ignorant upbringing. I hate to make this designation, but a lot of blacks who complain and make judgements are poor and uneducated. I came up middle class and extremely educated - so I was rejected from all sides and have never felt at home with any one race of people. It wasn't until maybe a few years ago that I realized how many mutts were in the world - and we all have a common ground to focus on. But that doesn't make it any easier!

My slave origins are not debatable - but my Native American heritage is something I'm still trying to research. I'd like to get a better clue and so I issue this call here - any black indians in the cyber-neighborhood? Or at least anyone with a clue to this designation?

I feel like an alien sometimes - very, very alone. Although L.L. Cool J is a black indian - that makes me feel pretty good. : ) Why, I could not tell you, but just to not be alone - - oy!
posted by:
Bing
Orlando
Advertisement
  • Re: Black Indians

Wed, December 10, 2003 - 8:04 PM
    if you look at the shinnecock tribe in eastern long island i think you'll find what you're looking for.

however, i must say that most americans or at least anyone who's family has been in this country for more than 5-6 generations has in all likelyhood some native american, african and european ancestry. but how many of us are willing to admit it?

Wed, December 10, 2003 - 10:33 PM
      True that - the settlers, pioneers, colonials, whichever - they all got a bit randy now, didn't they? : ) Sort of like Alsace Lorraine - once German, once France, the war changed its borders and some of the soldiers got frisky in the interim, resulting in a French/German populace. I say, and this is meant in the sincerest and least-insulting way possible, that we should all just blend until we lose all trace of the borders that keep us apart. Love is the one race we belong to and procreation along these lines will only diffuse the bloodlines anyway. There can be no separation - and ultimately, pardon my language, we will fuck ourselves right into a perfect melding of all nations. But we're a long way off from that at the present time. But what a nice dream!

I'll look this tribe in ELI that you're talking about - I'm on a search - for as long as we are NOT all one, I do want to trace my steps of heritage, thanks for the tip, mon.
      • Unsu...

Re: Black Indians

Thu, December 11, 2003 - 10:41 AM

Thu, December 11, 2003 - 12:55 PM
          <I think T-Bird is also... >

i didn't think i knew enough to chime in, but somebody "outed" me the other day. i'd just met the woman, and she spotted it immediately.

i'll have to check those links nikki. you're quite the web-maven!

Thu, December 11, 2003 - 5:01 PM
          amen. no color lines. we are all related. no red, black, white, brown or yellow.

this is not some hippie dream concept. it's scientific fact. check the human genome project.
          • Unsu...

Re: Black Indians

Thu, December 11, 2003 - 6:51 PM
            No barriors this is true...but colors yes and we are all beautiful in them...alot of people used to tell me I was so pale that I looked sick....Hello but I am just fine(most of the time) but the darkness of sikn does not make you more healthier that lighter people...In the Indian Circle there are the four colors Red...Color of the East...of the red skin people...(also encluding brown people)...Yellow is the south...the yellow people Asian...etc...Black is the West...African and darker skinned people...and White...light skinned white people the North...it is not putting down people of the color medicine wheel it is the way it is...The fact is that any race that thinks that because of skin color they are better...this is a wrong thought...our differences should be celebrated...mixed together...put together...we get the RainBow....and this embraces us all...People of the Mixed Nations are known as the RainBow Tribe...In our Sacred Circle in the sweat lodge we pray to all directions...to all the people as one...as many...we are all related...the colors are not to separate but to work together live together and be peaceful...this was not a hippy idea...they liked this concept that they borrowed from the Indian people...The Indian people welcomed their white brothers warmly...they truely did...
            Many true stories that have never been learned in the schools of my time...(and most of your times those younger or older) can be read in:
            "Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee"....By Dee Brown
            The concept that grew from the Hippy movement that we are all the same...is nice...but in reality we are different...and the differences should should be enjoyed in music...liturature...food...dances...clothes...hair...ideas...
            dreams...religions...etc you name it we should mix it together...and enjoy...learn...understand...feel.
            The sacred circle starts at one point and continues around to join that point again...we are all a part of this sacred circle...

Tue, December 16, 2003 - 6:05 PM
    Hi Bing,

You asked about the Black Indians, and this happens to be material going into my second book on multiculturalism, which I'm expecting to have ready for my publisher early in 2004. Thanks to professor and author Angela Walton, I can give you some of what you're seeking. I'll give you a list of books as well to begin your search.

The largest population of Black Indians aren't mentioned very often in the texts by historians. "The Indian Freedmen of Oklahoma were citizens of the Cherokee, Choctaw, Chickasaw, Creek, and Seminole Nations, officially known as the Five Civilized Tribes. From as early as 1790, Cherokees began purchasing black slaves, a practice that continued until the end of the Civil War, when the Treaty of 1866 forced the Cherokees to free the slaves of Indian Territory.

"The Five Nations packed up their property--including their African slaves--and were forced westward in the various removals, the most famous of which was the Trail of Tears in the 1830s. But several thousand blacks lived among these nations from 1790 to 1907, when Indian Territory became Oklahoma. They were bilingual and bicultural, practicing some of the customs of the Native Americans among whom these former slaves had lived.

"After the Civil War, most of the Indian Freedmen remained in Indian Territory and were adopted as citizens of their respective nations...

"The US began to prepare to absorb both the Indian and Oklahoma Territories in 1898, and the land was distributed among the Native Americans and blacks who lived there. By 1914, more than 20,000 Africans had received citizenship, and at least 10,000 had received land.

"There are now over 20,000 records in the National Archives in Washington, DC; the Federal Records Center in Dallas and the Oklahoma Historical Society Archives in Oklahoma City. These records hold the history of the Freedmen, revealing a colorful and rich chapter in American history."

Among the books you might want to research:

Africans and Creeks, by Dr. Daniel Littlefield (Greenwood Press)
    Africans and Seminoles, by Dr. Daniel Littlefield (Greenwood Press)
    The Cherokee Freedmen, by Dr. Daniel Littlefield (Greenwood Press)
    The Chickasaw Freedmen, by Dr. Daniel Littlefield (Greenwood Press)
    Red Over Black: Slavery Among the Cherokees, by Dr. Rudi Halliburton (University of Oklahoma Press)
    Black, Red and Deadly: Black and Indian Gunfighters of Indian Territory, by Art T. Burton (Eakin Press)
    Black Indian Genealogy Research: African American Ancestors Among the Five Civilized Tribes, by Angela Y. Walton-Raji (Heritage Books)

Hope that helps you in your search.

Fri, December 26, 2003 - 2:30 PM
      Hey Michelle -

We've talked through e-mail already, just wanted to thank you for posting this info here, and also what you sent along. I started a new job on December 16th (my birthday), and haven't been around here much since, so I'm still catching up.

Your info helped much and I have a long trail ahead of me, but I'm heartened by your help. Thank you so very much!

Blessings,

Bing

Recent topics in "Multi-culturalism"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
younger women looking for older men Unsubscribed 0 December 24, 2013
Countries on Tumia Paka 2 December 11, 2011
Interracial relationships Unsubscribed 30 November 5, 2011
Cool mother's day event! offlineJessica 0 May 5, 2010